Thursday, January 24, 2013

Homemade Floor Wash - Yes, it's really that easy!

Over the years, I've slowly found myself in the habit of making more and more of our household products myself. It started with personal care items. Since our bodies absorb nutrients and toxins through the skin, not just the stomach, we generally try to avoid putting anything on our bodies that we wouldn't be willing to put in our bodies. Sometimes that's easier said than done, but we do try. Once I saw for myself how much cheaper and more effective these natural, homemade products could be I was hooked.

Today, I want to share an incredibly cheap, easy, safe, and natural floor cleaner. Here is the basic recipe;

1/2 cup vinegar
1 gallon water

Yes, it's really that easy. You'd have to stick your nose right in it to smell a faint hint of vinegar, and there's no vinegar smell at all once it dries.



 I find the floors have a little more luster if we rinse with clear water after the fact. Honestly, though, we almost never rinse. We just mop with our homemade cleaner, and let the floor air dry. It gets the job done well enough on the kitchen floors and makes the wood floors look absolutely gorgeous!

I like to get a little creative, though. If you like to get a little creative, here are some ideas.

replace the vinegar with;
lemon juice
lime juice

or just add one or more of the following;
1/2 cup mint tea (or other herbal tea you like the scent of or has antibacterial qualities)
a few drops of essential oils (some suggestions are tea tree oil, citrus oils, eucalyptus oil, clove oil, or lavender oil)

No comments:

Post a Comment